Monday, January 11, 2010

Barbies

Barbie arrived in doll world when I was too old for dolls. The closest we had was a "Tony" doll - you could work on her hair, but she wasn't nearly as much fun to sew for. My grandmother did teach me to make clothes for her (and for myself) and I've loved sewing ever since.

A few years ago, I started talking about Barbies and how cute they were. My hubby (always on the lookout for an easy gift for me) decided to start giving me Barbie dolls. After awhile, "I" decided to make a Barbie dress. My sewing machine was old and failing so we went on my birthday that year (the last year my sweet hubby was alive) and I got a new sewing machine AND serger (which I have a love/hate relationship with). One thing led to another and I've been making Barbie outfits ever since. I have so much fun designing and making elegant gowns and accessories. Then, almost as much fun dressing and photographing them. I've recently gotten a new "chair" to use as a prop - but haven't taken any photos with it yet.

This dress for Silkstone Barbie is called "Simply Red" and sold over the holidays. It included the custom necklace and handmade boa. More pictures of a few of my sold dresses can be found at: http://www.dollfashionsbyiris.com/photosgallery/index.php




Many times I'm designing as I go - and sometimes I'm more pleased with the results than others. This one was particularly fun and I love the outcome.


And this one didn't turn out 'exactly' as I'd planned - but definitely different and cute.


Sellling these fashions in my online doll shop and my Etsy shop are sort of a by-product of my hobby and do help support my 'habit'. If you're interested, you can see more outfits here:

http://www.dollfashionsbyiris.com/shop/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/IrisOriginals

Hope you have as much fun looking as I've had creating :)







3 comments:

Fashion Schlub said...

Iris, these are amazing! I can't make a POTHOLDER! I love the vignettes w the dogs :-)

Country Cottage Chic said...

They are fabulous Iris - it was fun reading how you got started.

Jayne

Iris said...

Thanks both of you. I'd hoped it would be interesting reading