Monday, January 18, 2010

Look what I found

Putting away the last of the Christmas decorations today, I found an old paper bag in the back of the storage room. Curious, I opened it up to find a stack of vintage handkerchiefs and a vintage ladies slip.

Now, when I say vintage - I don't mean the 70s or 80s (that's just a few years ago). These are from the 1930s or 1940s - certainly no newer.




At first I thought it was silk - but I'm not sure.  The inside looks handmade, but it does have tags, one is a heavy paper tag, so it hasn't been worn.  The color is a peach with cream lace trim.


It's been folded a long time, but doesn't look any the worse for wear.  I'm sure the wrinkles will iron out.

Now to figure out what to do with it.  It's a "large" size (40), so who's going to want to wear it.  And anyway, why would one want to wear a slip that's 70 plus years old???  Offer it on Etsy maybe?  We'll see.

Most of the hankies are stained - mostly from being folded for so long.  Some of them are handmade, others just old.




Then there are a couple with full designs.  I'm thinking I'll try a vintage hankie Barbie dress with one or both of them (wish that was an original idea, but it sounds like a good one anyway).

I really thought I'd gotten rid of all this old stuff, I'm not usually a 'saver'.  I'm thinking my DH stashed this away at some point in time being sure I'd want it eventually :)

No comments: